Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Pencil to Ink

Newbie_hyacinthg-
irl
Pencil to Ink
on: May 29, 2014, 21:01

I'm hoping your collective wisdom might help me with a small problem I'm having -

When practicing with a pointed pen I definitely have a "style" that I'm happy to call my own - my letters are nicely spaced with good rhythm, etc etc. Practice work looks great.

Then I'll move to do something a little more polished, like a card or a mailing envelope. Every resource I've read has told me to prep the layout in pencil first and then go back over with pen and ink, but when I do this my calligraphy winds up looking terrible! The pencil draft looks fine but when I ink over it, the thicks and thins throw off everything — letters wind up being too close together, everything looks scrunched and it doesn't look like "my" calligraphy, it just looks blah.

Help!

Anyone have good tips for managing spacing and maintaining style when drafting in pencil?

AdministratorMargaret-
Marie
Re: Pencil to Ink
on: June 11, 2014, 12:23

I would suggest using a grid style approach. I usually sketch out with a pencil on a separate sheet of paper. I then use that paper as a guideline, but do not necessarily sketch it on the actual paper I'm working on. I do however draw lines and sometimes a grid on the paper I'm working on to help me with placement. Hope that helps!

& etsy: properprintspaper.etsy.com
& facebook: facebook.com/properprints
& instagram: instagram.com/properprints

NewbieJessica-
Beltran
Re: Pencil to Ink
on: July 21, 2015, 18:22

Personally, I would trust your instincts. I will use pencil layouts when Im playing around with how I want the lettering to fall in the final piece. You could always do a mock layout in calligraphy on a scratch piece of paper, get a feel for where you want the letters to fall, and then move to the "real" piece. if you're comfortable writing in ink, go for it!!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | SOFTstyle by SOFTthemes
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.

Copyright © 2018 The Curious Calligrapher