Forum

Welcome Guest 

Show/Hide Header

Welcome Guest, posting in this forum requires registration.

Pages: 1
Author Topic: Inky Probs!

NewbiesozaPhotog-
raphy
Inky Probs!
on: January 8, 2015, 19:49

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new to calligraphy so I'm still in the learning phases of ink/nib/paper combos. I started out with the tools that Molly Jacques recommended on her Skillshare class. So yesterday I was problem free and doing my daily practice. I pulled out a brand new Nikko G to use with my new oblique pen holder for a little practice with that beast. All went well and I got through a lot of my letters. Today I pulled out the Nikko G I had been using with my straight pen holder and I got through one run of letters and then my ink started acting funny. In my downstrokes (pressure being used of course) my ink is not adhering to the paper as it was yesterday. It appears thin and seems to gather at the bottom of my down stroke. I'm using Higgins Eternal, and as I mentioned had no problems until today. I decided to give both my current Nikko G's a good cleaning, warm soapy water, ran under a lighter for a few secs even, but after the last rinse and drying, I still cannot get my ink to adhere properly to my nib. Repeated my cleaning and still no dice. It's kind of an ink or nib issue since that has been no changes in the paper obviously. Both were working great just yesterday and today they just don't want to cooperate. Any thoughts or ideas? Could my ink really have gotten "watery" from yesterday to today?

Thanks all!

Newbierisharoll
Re: Inky Probs!
on: January 9, 2015, 02:58

When I took my first copperplate class my instructor recommended using a cover sheet underneath my writing hand or using a "sock glove" (old sock with the toe parts taken off and a hole for your thumb). It hinders your natural oils from transferring from your hand to your paper. -- could be the culprit?

NewbiesozaPhotog-
raphy
Re: Inky Probs!
on: January 9, 2015, 04:47

Totally possible! I had just lotioned up my hands not too much earlier which is why I was cleaning my nibs so furiously. I was at the bottom of the page too so I'll give it a go tomorrow on a new sheet with a cover sheet under and freshly cleaned nibs and hope it works out.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by cartpauj | SOFTstyle by SOFTthemes
Version: 1.0.34 ; Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.

Copyright © 2018 The Curious Calligrapher